Senior Retail Banker/Retail Department Manager
Department: Retail Lending
Reports to: EVP Chief Operating Officer
Supervises: Retail Lending Operations Manager, Retail Loan Officers, Underwriters and Loan Servicing Department
Level: Level 5
Oversees management, strategic direction and Business development of retail lending and underwriting, and directs the activities of the Loan Servicing department.
- Bachelor degree in finance or comparative work experience in Banking/Finance.
- Ten or more years of mortgage lending experience.
- Thorough understanding of loan documentation criteria and business objectives for the Retail Lending Department.
- Excellent communication, management and analytical skills necessary to properly motivate employees, while contributing to interdepartmental cooperation.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to communicate effectively with all banking departments and management personnel.
- Solid knowledge of real estate lending policies and procedures.
- Ability to write and clearly express detailed procedures and guidance for lending personnel.
- Thorough understanding of Retail Loan Compliance and ability to research and develop compliance procedures for new and amended State and Federal compliance policies.
- Problem solving skills required to analyze situations and determine solutions to lending issues, which are advantageous to both the customer and the Bank.
Specific Job Functions:
- Active participant in business development efforts to help meet strategic plan vision and goals of the bank.
- Originates residential loan procedures for retail loan personnel.
- Renders final credit decisions on residential loans.
- Guides and develops the residential real estate activities, training and work assignments of subordinates.
- Managerial duties to include: improvement plans and reviews, promotions, salary recommendations, and terminations. Coaches, develops and inspires staff to maximize their potential.
- Oversees and recommends upgrades and improvements to the Bank’s residential lending policies and procedures; ensures that changes to these policies and procedures are implemented as necessary.
- Develops and implements new residential loan products as necessary.
- Selects and maintains list of approved Retail appraisers by reviewing sample appraisals, resumes and licenses of possible appraisers. Negotiates reasonable appraisal fee schedule.
- Vendor Management as it pertains to the department.
- Selects and maintains list of approved Closing agents.
- Responsible for the sale of loans post-closing to secondary market investors (i.e, Fannie Mae, FHLB, State Housing agencies)
- Adherence to CFPB rules governing “ability to repay” (ATR) and “qualified mortgages” (QM)
- Advises Retail Loan Officers on difficult lending questions or problems.
- Writes proposals to expand current residential real estate lending business.
- Provides regular reports to the COO on the Bank’s residential real estate portfolio and pending pipeline.
- Responsible for quality control of new retail loans.
- Insures that retail loans originated are in compliance with State and Federal regulations.
- Interviews and hires personnel, jointly with the HR Department, within departments supervised.
- Develops and maintains all Retail loan-related guidance memos, documents and disclosures for lending personnel on internal Bank website.
- Research and respond to issues discovered by internal reviews and/or audits. Provide training and procedural changes based upon findings.
- Approve loan exceptions, set interest rates and assist Retail Lending departments in the absence of COO.
- Direct the activities of the Loan Servicing department to include loan bookings, servicing of existing relationships and document retention activities.
- Ensure efficient and timely processes are maintained to effectively service the banks retail and commercial loans.
- Establish periodic banking system monitoring activities in order to maintain accurate loan accounting records.
- Community involvement
This Job Description describes the essential functions and qualifications of the job described. It is not an exhaustive statement of all the duties, responsibilities or qualifications of the job. This document is not intended to exclude modifications consistent with providing reasonable accommodations for a disability. This is not a contract.